Monday, August 2, 2010

Dangerous in the Kitchen

Hi friends. I'm finishing up a project at work and getting ready for a big trip East. So, I've called in reinforcements, aka, friends who kick serious arse in the kitchen. Julie and I met in childbirth class three years ago. She's so healthy and active, it's sickening.....so I thought she would be the perfect person to inspire us and make our tummies grumble for some good eats! Everyone, meet Julie!

Hi, I’m Julie and I think it’s funny that I’m posting recipes. What’s even funnier to me is that I own a salsa company (eat, not dance) and I’m really not much of a cook (Jeannie, here. She's lying.). But, even though I’m dangerous in the kitchen, I enjoy being/eating healthy and really like what I’ve seen on this blog, so what the heck, right?

So, I should be giving someone out there credit for this recipe but now I don’t remember which
website I found it on. So, this is a creative, yummy recipe from someone other than me.

Sweet Quinoa Salad (Sorry to interrupt again, but Julie brought this to my house this weekend and it was DELISH!!!!)

1 c. apple juice
1 c. water
1 c. quinoa
3/4 t cinnamon
2 medium apples, diced
1 c. sliced celery
1/2 c. dried cherries or cranberries (I used cherries)
1 T olive oil
1/4 t salt
1/2 lemon

Combine juice, water, quinoa and cinnamon in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Refrigerate 1 hour. Toss with remaining ingredients.

I made this to serve the next day so I tossed the apple pieces (to keep from browning) with most of the lemon juice first and then tossed everything else.

This turned out great and I think I’m going to have it for breakfast tomorrow!
Thanks, Julie!
Enjoy all!
Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment